Lower School Virtual Learning
For each grade level, teachers have prepared approximately 30 minutes worth of activities for each subject every day. You will also receive activities from each investment teacher throughout the week as well as optional activities from our Lower School counselors. Especially during this first week, please remember that this is a brand new system for everyone, and it will take time for you, your student, and our teachers to acclimate to this new way of learning. We appreciate you remaining calm and having patience as we all embrace this new normal together.
Office Hours and Communication
Every grade level will have virtual office hours that will be consistent from day to day. Each teacher will share with you their procedure for making an appointment to communicate with them on an individual basis during those office hours should your student need support in a specific area.
Lower School Daily Collegiate Leader Office Hours:
- K: 11:00am – 1:00pm
- 1st: 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- 2nd: 9:00am – 11:00am
- 3rd: 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- 4th: 10:00am – 12:00pm
- 5th: 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- Lower School Investments: 9:00am – 11:00am
Virtual Learning in Lower School
We know that typical schedules are disrupted and different during times of school closure. Due to this, we will be providing asynchronous learning. Asynchronous learning means that everyone engages in the instruction at their own pace. Your student might be able to engage each day in the morning, the afternoon, or evening– or at a different time each day. Whatever time they are able to engage is fine!
You can expect the following each day:
If you have a K-2 student, you will receive an email every day from your student’s teacher that will contain the following information:
- A link to a Google form for you to fill out EACH DAY in order for us to gather attendance information for the state of North Carolina. It does not matter what time you fill out this form every day, as long as it is submitted sometime during the 24-hour period of the school day.
- The daily activities for your student to complete for each subject. Each grade level is preparing approximately 30 minutes of activities per subject per day.
- A link to a PDF that contains all of the activities for the entire week for each subject along with optional extra activities prepared by their Collegiate Leaders (both grade level and Investments) as well as activities collected by our School Counselors.
If you have a 3-5 student, you will receive an email reminding you of what your student needs to complete each day. In order to help your student be successful and hold them accountable, please check in with them daily about whether or not they’ve completed their assignments. The daily Google form for them to fill out EACH DAY allows us to gather attendance information for the state of North Carolina and is very important. Please remind them to complete it daily.
Each day, your student needs to do the following:
- Log in to Google Classroom (Help available here)
- Once in Google Classroom, students will do the following daily:
- Complete the Google form for attendance
- Complete the assignments for each subject area
- Additionally, your student will have optional extra activities prepared by their Collegiate Leaders (both grade level and Investments) as well as activities collected by our School Counselors
Throughout this process, it is our goal to stay connected with you and your family. To do so, you will see our staff reach out in a variety of ways to both you and your student. For example, 3-5 teachers will be emailing their students and copying you on those emails. When you see that happen, encourage your student to respond to their teacher’s email. Additionally, we will be implementing a video conferencing platform soon that will allow students and teachers to “meet” virtually. Once that platform is in place, we will share expectations for its use with you and your student.
As we move through this Virtual Learning experience, your child will spend more time at home than normal engaging with their device and interacting with others online. As you navigate that as a family, we encourage you to set clear expectations for online etiquette. Please make sure your Champion is abiding by the Zoom guidelines linked here.
This is an example of what our teachers will be using with your students to discuss online manners:
Resources for Virtual Learning