Seniors! This Federal Student Aid tips for success addresses 4 TIPS for incoming college freshmen. Tips include:
- Stay in contact with your schools
- Read all your mail and email (add your college’s email to your contact to avoid emails going to spam!)
- Track your activities with a checklist (like this one from College Board)
- Check the status of your financial aid (!!)
- Complete the FAFSA
- Contact the financial aid office at the colleges/universities you listed on the FAFSA to ensure the institution received your financial aid documents. Double check!
As of this month, our seniors have gotten acceptance letters from the following schools:
Appalachian State University
Belmont Abbey College
East Carolina University
East Tennessee State University
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Middle Georgia State University
NC State University
Oregon State University
Western Carolina University
If your senior has been accepted into a college/university, please let us know the good news by filling out this form!
Seniors Applying to AB Tech
Seniors graduating from high school this year, I wanted to below is A-B Tech scholarship information. If you are considering attending A-B Tech after graduation from high school and there are some excellent scholarships which you might be qualified for. These are only for students attending A-B Tech in Fall 2022. There are several steps in the process outlined below:
- Watch the 5 minute video on applying for the scholarships: https://use.vg/OwAsJs (This is very informative)
- Complete an application to A-B Tech (free and does not commit you to attending) https://abtech.edu/future-students/admissions-overview
- Complete the 2022-23 FAFSA: https://abtech.edu/future-students/financial-aid
- Complete the Foundation Scholarship Application: https://abtech.edu/future-students/financial-aid/scholarships/applying-scholarships-where-start
Dual Enrollment at AB Tech
Dual enrollment gives students a chance to take classes at other schools at no cost to the student, and many times they are able to earn both high school and college credit for those courses. Some courses are offered online, while others require a student to be able to drive to campus for their class.
Students are able to follow two different pathways depending on their postsecondary goals:
– College Transfer Pathways can lead to the completion of at least thirty semester hours of transfer courses, including English and mathematics, for qualified junior and senior high school students. These courses transfer to all 16 campuses of the University of North Carolina system, as well as many private colleges in the state.
– Career Technical Education Pathways lead to a certificate or diploma and prepare students to enter the workforce post-graduation.
To qualify for dual enrollment at AB Tech, you must have a 2.8 unweighted GPA and be a rising junior or senior to apply. If you do not meet the GPA requirement, but are interested in a CTE pathway, please email Ms. Lafferty to talk about your options.
If you are interested in dual-enrollment, here are your next steps (students who have taken AB Tech dual-enrollment classes this year do not need to re-apply for next):
Step 1: Please check out this video from our AB Tech advisor, Vicki Thompson about the AB Tech dual enrollment process. You can also get more information and a list of CCP eligible classes by checking out the CCP website.
Step 2: Fill out an application and turn it in to Ms. Lafferty. Please leave the course selection section blank until you have had an advising session.
- 2020-2021 Application: CCP Application for Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021
- 2021-2022 Application: CCP Application for Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022
Step 3: AB Tech course registration opens at the beginning of April. At this time, Ms. Lafferty will pull you from class to meet with Vicki (she is here once a week on Tuesdays) and choose your classes.
If you have any questions about the program or are unsure if dual-enrollment is a good fit for you, please email me to set up an information session with me and Vicki.
Family Resources/Important Links
- Common App
- AB Tech CCP Dual Enrollment
- Parent Action Plan: 9th Grade
- Parent Action Plan: 10th Grade
- Parent Action Plan: 11th Grade
- Parent Action Plan: 12th Grade
For more information about the college and career program or to schedule an advising session, please reach out to Ms. Chelsea Lafferty, Upper School College and Career Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by call/text at 828.708.0660.