Destination Imagination is a project-based, 100% student-led, team competition.
Groups of 5-7 students (Kindergarten – University Level) utilize the applications of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM). DI is an experiential system of learning that cultivates champions’ creative and critical thinking skills, and provides them with collaborative problem solving experience. As a result, our champions learn patience, flexibility, perseverance, as well as ethics.
Teams meet weekly, creating a solution to one of DI’s six STEAM based central challenges. Regardless of the the challenge they choose, all solutions are presented in the format of a dramatic play. This play is presented on stage to a panel of appraisers, as well as parents and other tournament attendees .
In addition to their central challenge, teams also compete in an Instant Challenge. These challenges are typically task-based, timed, and are not revealed until the tournament. Instant Challenges are scored on both solution, as well collaboration, and account for 25% of a teams total score.
Destination Imagination is a global organization. Each year DI impacts more than 150,000 students, 38,000 volunteers, in 45+ states, across 30 countries.
Logistics you need to know:
- Every team must have at least one parent manager. ICI will not provide any staff to manage teams.
- Every parent is expected to volunteer in some capacity. This is an “all hands on deck” community. Although some parents can not make the weekly commitment to manage a team, there are many other ways to offer support. Some of these tasks include setting up instant challenges for managers, volunteering and appraising at the state tournament, and providing prop storage and alternative construction meeting locations.
- Teams meet weekly at the time of their manager’s choice. Most teams meet on campus, but can expect to have construction days at an alternative location. Additionally, ICI can not provide prop storage for teams. Materials will need to be stored off site.
- Teams are broken down into the following grade-level groups: k-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12. However, a child may compete on an older team, but not a younger one.
- 2018-2019 initial parent cost is $53. This includes team registration, state tournament fee, and an ICI tournament t-shirt. If a team advances to Global Finals, and chooses to attend, there will be additional cost to families. ICI will be conducting fundraisers throughout the year to help offset this cost. However, parents should anticipate additonal fees.
- Your initial fee does not cover any materials for your challenge solution. However, Destination Imagination is focused on creating solutions with garbage, recyclables, found objects, and anything else you can imagine…. Think duck tape, cardboard, and construction scraps. Free is best! Each team has to provide a cost sheet at the tournament detailing every dollar spent. Each challenge has an individual monetary ceiling.
- The state tournament is Saturday, March 16th and will be held at Cane Creek Middle School, in Fairview.
- Global Finals are moving to Kansas City, MO. Previously, GF had been held in Knoxville, TN for the past 20 years.